Wednesday, June 16, 2021

The Tomb of Horrors Awaits...

 Hello all, welcome back to the blog.

Today I'll be showing you all how I painted Acererak, creator of the infamous Tomb of Horrors.  I got the model at the local game store a little while ago, and finally got around to painting it. 

Acererak | Forgotten Realms Wiki | Fandom
Reference for the paintjob.

To start off with the undercoat, I first covered the whole model with black gesso, then sprayed white primer from above. This makes it so the surfaces towards the top of the model would be brighter than the surfaces on the bottom. This will help reinforce the highlights on the model later. 

Next I put on the basecoats. Black for the robes, purple for the dangly robe pennants, medium green for the face brooch, light green for the skin, gold for the neck decoration, red for the trim, brown for the staff, khaki for the skill and bones, and dark gold for the crown. I then hit the smoke around Acererak with thinned green paint, so the transition from black to white primer could be seen through the green tint. This gives the illusion of the smoke thickening as you get closer to the bottom.
Work in progress.


Next, I painted everything except the smoke and the robes with Agrax Earthshade. This brought out the detail in the model, and added definition to the different materials. 

Third, I added highlights to the model. I added grey to the robes, pinkish purple to the dangly cloth bits, tan to the wood and bones, light green for the brooch, lighter green for the skin, and light gold for the neck and crown. I left the red alone, as it was a small area and was surrounded by dark colours. I then overbrushed the top of the smoke with white, to further reinforce the smoke effect. I painted the base black, painted the eyes red, then called it done. 



The finished product.

 And there we go, Acererak is done, ready to trap the latest adventuring party. I am happy with this model, and I am excited to use it in the future. 

Happy painting,

FP01

1 comment: