Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Enplacement Overview

 Well, I'm back again for the third post today. I wonder if I'm going at this too hard?


This time i'll go over the build and paint of my emplacements, as shown in the previous post. You can expect an in-depth build guide whenever I get around to building some different shapes. 


My first step was to cut out some cardboard as a base. I tried to go for about 5 x 20cm, but ended up with bases that while close to the same size, were different enough that one could tell they were different. C'est la vie.

This one is my favourite. Warped to all heck but still the best.

I then cut out some foamboard to the same length as the base and peeled off the paper to reveal the foam underneath. It didn't come off perfectly, often tearing and leaving bits of paper on. The larger bits were peeled off, and the smaller bits were left on as extra texture. A side effect of this was the damaged looking tops of the wall, which I think is a plus. 

Rear view of one of the solid emplacements.


Next I hot glued the foamboard so the back edge of it was 32mm away from the back of the emplacement, leaving room for most basic infantry models, who usually are on a 25 or 32mm base. However, the space is large enough for models that have a larger base (like my deamon prince).

I then used a combination of PVA and hot glue to glue small pebbles and sand, along with spikes made out of sprues to the front of the emplacement, along with tiles made of cardstock on the rear.

Corner view of an emplacement. 

I painted the emplacements with various shades of grey, mixed from white, black, and burnt sienna in varying amounts. Medium grey for the gaps in between the tiles, light grey for the tiles and rocks, dark brown for the dirt, dark grey for the spikes.

All surfaces were then drybrushed with an even lighter grey, and I filled in any spots I missed in the previous steps. This brought out the details in the piece.

Some of my Iron Warriors manning the emplacements. Medrengard stands!

I will eventually glue some green flock onto the emplacements to represent grass, but that will come later, once I get a chance.

Happy painting, 

FP01









1 comment:

  1. Those Iron Warriors are in dire need of a good chain axing. Re: differing sizes, might be worth looking into picking up a smallish carpenter's square. Or finding a sympathetic relative who owns one.

    ReplyDelete